First Day Back
It's only been the first day of this semester and it already looks like it's going to be quite the singular adventure. I think that fact hit me somewhere between weaving my way through the buildings of campus, not on my way to the airport, but with campus being my destination, and the one and only AT class I have this semester that almost felt more like a class reunion than an actual class. Wow that was weird. Some of them had been away on internships last semester so we were welcoming them back and catching up in a way that almost lead me to expect Prof. Young to show up with the bingo chips. It seems like in these classes you always tend to form into these smaller groups that kind of stick together.... well there's a little group like that I've known since the first class freshman year pretty much, and Allison from our little group had been away on an internship and after she had walked in and given Mike, Garrett and me hugs (further contributing to the reunion feel) she caught us up on what all she'd been doing. Come to find out she just got engaged to this guy she met over the last semester and they're getting married in May.
That seemed to be another kind of depressing theme of that reunion class. One of the other guys in our row revealed that he just got engaged over break too, officially making me the only one in our little group not engaged. Now is that a downer or what? Don't get me wrong, it's great for them, but it does make me feel like I'm running behind schedule or something. Maybe I better start making that whole deal more of a priority. Up till this point I've just been trying to be content being single (not easy for me as y'all could probably imagine ;) ) but now I almost seem to be too content with it. Well, whenever your ready God lol.
I'm getting pretty excited about this acting class I'm taking this semester for a Humanities elective. I bought books today and the playbook they had on the shelf for that class was "Death of a Salesman", so I guess that must be the one we'll be working with. I don't know if were going to put together a whole play or not, but I guess I'll find out in about nine hours.
That seemed to be another kind of depressing theme of that reunion class. One of the other guys in our row revealed that he just got engaged over break too, officially making me the only one in our little group not engaged. Now is that a downer or what? Don't get me wrong, it's great for them, but it does make me feel like I'm running behind schedule or something. Maybe I better start making that whole deal more of a priority. Up till this point I've just been trying to be content being single (not easy for me as y'all could probably imagine ;) ) but now I almost seem to be too content with it. Well, whenever your ready God lol.
I'm getting pretty excited about this acting class I'm taking this semester for a Humanities elective. I bought books today and the playbook they had on the shelf for that class was "Death of a Salesman", so I guess that must be the one we'll be working with. I don't know if were going to put together a whole play or not, but I guess I'll find out in about nine hours.


Dude, I don't know spanish, so I just kept clicking links till I got here.
Anywho, don't get discouraged about being single (though I know it can be hard not to be sometimes). My best friends were all getting married and having kids before I even met Catherine. It took me to truly content in God and my singleness(and till I was 24) for God to bring Catherine into my life. You're young and you have plenty of time to enjoy doing what you really like doing. I know this is advice all married people give single people, but I hope you do find it as encouragement.
Btw, I took an acting class when I was at Purdue too. Except I had mine in those portable looking buildings. I think those are gone now. But I had a blast in that class. I hope you have good time too.
-Josh
Posted by
Josh Gillespie |
12:06 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by
Anonym |
9:46 AM
I think the idea of a senior wandering around lost on campus is hilarious...heh. Don't be afraid to ask for directions--it usually works!
Posted by
SaraY |
12:45 PM
Actually, I'm starting to get a little better at it now believe it or not. I can at least find VPA pretty easy..... but all the rest of the classes I have to leave ample time to wander around campus till I find the building ;-).
Thanks for the encouragement Josh!
Yeah I know I have time yet.... that's what I keep telling myself. But then myself says... it says: "Ross, you may have all the time in the world, but I'll tell ya what ya know, I'm ready any time now". To which I respond by reminding myself that I am rather content being single, so why rush anything. Myself then smirks in a taunting manner and asks with an air of one who knows some dark secret "so then if you are so content, why is it that you still pine for such companionship? And if you indeed are content, maybe a relationship would serve as a catalyst for growth as a man before God".
Although I don't totally agree with you, myself, in your use of the word "content", you do have a point. When I said content, I didn't mean that I've reached a place where I'm happy to rest on my laurels. No, rather I feel that up to this point, not being distracted by a relationship has been good because it has allowed me to step back and focus on how Christ would have me to serve and glorify him with my life and to get a better grasp on the "big picture" of everything as a whole. I am not claiming to know it all, myself, far from it. I know I have a life time of learning left, and if I where to wait till I had learned it all.... well it would be a rather dead wedding so to speak. So to tell the true, I'm just as ready as you, myself. "Then why don't you do something about it" myself sneers. Go home myself. Maybe I just will!
Sorry y'all. It was a long day, and that just came out of nowhere. I really don't sit around and argue with myself but that was just too tempting. Myself, quit! Go finish making dinner.
Posted by
Ross |
8:00 PM
Hey! I was wondering how your acting class was going so far, and if it was as much of a joke as mine. So far, we have spent 2 class periods playing get-to-know-you and trust-building team games. Not sure what it really has to do with acting. And next class we present the story of our lives in sopme highly creative fashion.
Posted by
Anonym |
10:48 PM
Well Nirms, I guess that must just be how theater classes are, 'cause that's about all we've done so far too lol. First meeting we introduced each other, then we spent most of a class learning to relax and then did a short improve skit thing at the end, and then this next week we'll be doing show and tell. How crazy is that lol! But I'm just kind of going with it and it's actually been fun. I just can't believe this counts as college ;-)
Posted by
Ross |
4:47 PM