Winged Time
Time passes so quickly these days. While a purist might try and correct me on this point on the grounds that a minute is a minute so time can’t pass quicker now than it has before unless your into the weird quirks of quantum physics, in all practicality I honestly don’t know where the time goes. I just registered for next semester’s classes the other day and realized that that was going to be the last time I registered for fall classes in my major. This point in life was just a distant indiscernible image shrouded in the haze of the unknown not that long ago; and now here I am.
Thinking about this time warp that life seems to be in right now instills a sense of urgency in me; as it should. Am I using this time that passes so quickly now in the best way possible to further the kingdom of God? Well, that’s something that bugged me. For one thing, what does that look like right now? What things am I not doing that I should and are doing that I shouldn’t. Right now God has put me at Purdue to pursue a degree for purposes only he knows now. My job is to do the best I can in this and trust the finale to him and to prepare myself to be a Godly man and, Lord willing, eventually a husband.
Remaining portion of original post edited out, beginning of dubbed in material:
A person who is in their final hours here on earth has the ultimate perspective on how they spent the fleeting years of their life. It’s all out there for analysis at that point, no new chapters to be added. I would think it would be strange to look back on a life time of things that had been so uncertain but are now just facts of history. Moses did some reflecting when he realized his remaining time on earth was limited. In Deut. 32 we have an awesome example of how to keep from getting “time vertigo”, or how to keep a perspective on life that is long term and not short sighted. Moses starts by praising God and recalling the history between God and Israel. He recalls the good and the bad. The times when Israel was unfaithful and how God forcefully guided them back to him and the times when He gave them victory over their adversaries. He brings to mind the promises the Lord made concerning future unfaithfulness and makes great promises about how it wouldn’t even make sense for another nation to try and stand against them when they have the Rock on their side. At the end of all this, Moses encourages the entire nation to rejoice with him in what they had just recalled about the Lord and to be sure to make it known to their children and future generations. For as Moses said near the end of this passage “[these] are not just idle words for you – they are your life” Hmm, both literally and figuratively.
This little passage, probably often skipped over by people as just “another one of those Moses songs” was a real encouragement to me. I started writing this before I had read Deut. 32 and was struggling to grasp exactly what I was trying to say. It’s awesome how God can bring a passage along and show you things you need to see right when you need to see it, if we only listen to him by reading his word. If any of you ever feel like your getting “spatial disorientation” in life I would encourage you to read this passage and see how Moses recalled how God had provided direction to Israel and had kept the promises He had made both for judgment and aid, and how he then claimed God’s promises to be their Rock in the future, all while thanking and praising the Lord. What an encouragement. After that nice little run-on sentence followed by a sentence fragment I think I better end here lol.
Thinking about this time warp that life seems to be in right now instills a sense of urgency in me; as it should. Am I using this time that passes so quickly now in the best way possible to further the kingdom of God? Well, that’s something that bugged me. For one thing, what does that look like right now? What things am I not doing that I should and are doing that I shouldn’t. Right now God has put me at Purdue to pursue a degree for purposes only he knows now. My job is to do the best I can in this and trust the finale to him and to prepare myself to be a Godly man and, Lord willing, eventually a husband.
Remaining portion of original post edited out, beginning of dubbed in material:
A person who is in their final hours here on earth has the ultimate perspective on how they spent the fleeting years of their life. It’s all out there for analysis at that point, no new chapters to be added. I would think it would be strange to look back on a life time of things that had been so uncertain but are now just facts of history. Moses did some reflecting when he realized his remaining time on earth was limited. In Deut. 32 we have an awesome example of how to keep from getting “time vertigo”, or how to keep a perspective on life that is long term and not short sighted. Moses starts by praising God and recalling the history between God and Israel. He recalls the good and the bad. The times when Israel was unfaithful and how God forcefully guided them back to him and the times when He gave them victory over their adversaries. He brings to mind the promises the Lord made concerning future unfaithfulness and makes great promises about how it wouldn’t even make sense for another nation to try and stand against them when they have the Rock on their side. At the end of all this, Moses encourages the entire nation to rejoice with him in what they had just recalled about the Lord and to be sure to make it known to their children and future generations. For as Moses said near the end of this passage “[these] are not just idle words for you – they are your life” Hmm, both literally and figuratively.
This little passage, probably often skipped over by people as just “another one of those Moses songs” was a real encouragement to me. I started writing this before I had read Deut. 32 and was struggling to grasp exactly what I was trying to say. It’s awesome how God can bring a passage along and show you things you need to see right when you need to see it, if we only listen to him by reading his word. If any of you ever feel like your getting “spatial disorientation” in life I would encourage you to read this passage and see how Moses recalled how God had provided direction to Israel and had kept the promises He had made both for judgment and aid, and how he then claimed God’s promises to be their Rock in the future, all while thanking and praising the Lord. What an encouragement. After that nice little run-on sentence followed by a sentence fragment I think I better end here lol.


This post is about two or three days old because blogger wouldn't let me post until just now....got to love computers.
Posted by
Ross |
12:18 AM