Mustard Greens, AT professors, and 3 Clueless Guys
What do the above things have in common? They were all a part of my grocery store adventures tonight. Now I really don't like going to the grocery store all that much. Some aren't bad, but most are kind of dirty, having many signs that most of the surrounding population has at one time or another tromped through on a quest for food. Not to mention the insanely annoying 80's music they play. I don't even know were they find most of that music. My theory is that they had it specially composed to drive shoppers mad so they grab everything in sight and get out of there ASAP. But anyway.
So yeah, I saw one of my favorite AT profs there and he looked about as lost at times as I did. He had the infamous "list" with him that I'm sure had been composed by his wife because he didn't even know were to find some of the stuff. I almost bought Mustard Greens for my salad but they all looked pretty sad so I didn't. The clueless guys entered the picture as I was making my way to the checkout lanes. All three of them filed in, big football player type guys. After wandering around a little to throw off any one watching, they walked over to the flower fridge thing and each grabbed out one rose. Chuckling amongst themselves and smacking each other in the arm to congratulate themselves on their success so far, they made their way to the check out lanes. Now there was a sight, three big guys standing in line each holding a supermarket rose. So maybe the grocery store is good for something.
Compared to that, the rest of the week was boring. I did get to taxi the 737 pictured below, which was cool. I really will post something worth reading in the near future I promise. Until then,
So yeah, I saw one of my favorite AT profs there and he looked about as lost at times as I did. He had the infamous "list" with him that I'm sure had been composed by his wife because he didn't even know were to find some of the stuff. I almost bought Mustard Greens for my salad but they all looked pretty sad so I didn't. The clueless guys entered the picture as I was making my way to the checkout lanes. All three of them filed in, big football player type guys. After wandering around a little to throw off any one watching, they walked over to the flower fridge thing and each grabbed out one rose. Chuckling amongst themselves and smacking each other in the arm to congratulate themselves on their success so far, they made their way to the check out lanes. Now there was a sight, three big guys standing in line each holding a supermarket rose. So maybe the grocery store is good for something.
Compared to that, the rest of the week was boring. I did get to taxi the 737 pictured below, which was cool. I really will post something worth reading in the near future I promise. Until then,


See, I told you that going grocery shopping is enormously fun! You should try going regularly now... after all, how many places do you get to see lost looking guys (besides of course in Windsor where they all look lost) and football type players buying roses? Like I said, huge fun!
Posted by
Anonym |
1:34 AM
Great writing! I love reading these sort of observations. Keep it up! When guys shop usually (notice I said usually) they have in mind exactly what they want. The get it. Leave. Done. Some women (don't want to generalize too much) go shopping for the sake of shopping. Maybe it is to observe strange, lost, helpless, creatures wondering in circles? I don't know, but it could be!
Posted by
Eric S. Filson |
3:32 AM
LOL. Love your description of grocery stores. But you might offend our loyal Marsh employee friend Brian.
Yeah, I dunno what the music deal is. At the stores around here, they're always playing 70's music, and my mom gets all nostalgic. She thinks they must've figured out that people her age spend the most money, so they play their music to get them to stay and shop longer. I guess people our age just too poor to be their target shoppers :-(
~Nirmala
Posted by
Anonym |
11:56 PM
Can any of you girls tell me what is so fun about shopping? I mean I loved it when I could ride in the cart and had the challenge of trying to get everything on the shelves into it (even if mom didn't want it). But those days are gone, and now it just wastes my time.
Posted by
Josh |
9:33 PM
Great people watching. When you're on a college campus everyone looks the same. You have students and you have professors and you have maintenance people. People watching honestly isn’t very fun on campus. When you’re at the airport you have even more of homogenous crowd. When you’re at the mall the shoppers are usually higher middle class people with similar characteristics, and when you’re at Walmart you have more blue-collar workers. People tend to congregate with other people like themselves. BUT everyone needs food and the basic supplies groceries have. And, with the exceptions of specialty stores like Aldi and Bloomingfoods (that one really is crazy, but you probably have a couple like it in Indy) everyone ends up at the same stores. And nobody puts on any pretenses in grocery stores – except in Texas where women dress up and style their hair and put on makeup even to go to the grocery in the early morning. Still, in Indiana you see people in the middle of their lives.
And quite honestly, it’s also fun because food is interesting. The more basic the ingredients the more the possibilities of culinary creations open up.
Posted by
Anonym |
10:22 PM
Whoa! I guess I should check my own blog every once in a while, I actually got some comments lol. Man, I even got one from Erick. I feel special.
Yeah, the grocery store. I heard someone say once that when you write, it really doesn't matter what happens to you or what other people around you might think about you. Because in the end, you get to write about it.
I don't know what that has to do with anything, other than the fact that it's getting late and that's what popped into my head when I reread my attempt to make the highlight of my Thursday sound interesting.
Oh, by the way I know some of you back home don't have blogger accounts or whatever, but feel free to just comment as anonymous and just sign your name like Nirmala does if you want. Unless your parents warned you about talking to strange people lol.
Posted by
Ross |
12:04 AM
Yeah guys be careful with your "grocery store" comments....I read this.... ;-)lol
Actually, at work I do see lots of people, some in the weirdest moods or clothing selections. In fact it's rather funny to watch some of them! If I was the type to get excited over "cute" girls, there's tons that come in every day (not the same ones). I actually have to be careful - that's what Psalm 101 is all about though, I'm thankful I have it memorized because it comes to mind quite frequently!
Posted by
Brian |
9:58 PM
I won't try to pretend that I find grocery shopping immensely exciting. I mean, it all gets consumed really fast and has to be done over and over. But my mom enjoys it as time to herself if she gets to go without taking my younger sibs along.
But shopping for clothes--that's quite another matter! Lots of fun when you're in the right mood.....and have money!
~Nirmala
Posted by
Anonym |
11:04 PM
Money? hmm I think I've seen it once or twice.....changing between hands of other people.
Posted by
Ross |
12:16 AM
Hey just wanted to let everyone know that I added a chatterbox to my Xanga site, mostly so that those of you without Xanga accounts can leave me "comments".
~Nirmala
Posted by
Anonym |
12:17 AM
There you go Ross, cute girls! Do you need any more reasons to go grocery shopping?
Posted by
Anonym |
2:45 PM
hmm....if I get to the point where I need to go the the grocery store to bump into cute girls, my life will have reached a new low. And besides that, I generally sweep through there so fast in an effort to minimize the pain that any cute girls just look like everyone else.....a blur.
Posted by
Ross |
12:25 PM
There may be cute girls all over the place, but at the grocery store you’re more likely to find a cute girl who can cook. It’s a better place to find a girl than just picking one up while you’re waiting for traffic to clear on your motorcycle anyway. Next time you go with Shu try slowing down, enjoying the scenery and smiling…
Posted by
Anonym |
1:59 PM